The Public Health Unit (UKA) at HSAAS is a unit that deals with matters related to public health, occupational health among staff, hospital environment health, infectious disease surveillance, and health promotion. All of these activities have powers in the public health related legislation, such as the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases 1988, the Destruction of the Infectious Diseases of the Disease Act 1975, the Food Act 1983 and the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994. The objectives of the UKA are to ensure that the requirements are public health related acts are complied with at HSAAS, providing technical consultation and public health specialist services as well as conducting management, planning, implementation, and evaluation of public health programs at HSAAS.
The Public Health Unit consists of 5 sub-units:
1) Sub-unit Surveillance and Disease Control. This sub-unit plans and coordinates the following activities: notification of infectious diseases carried out in collaboration with the Sepang District Health Office on activities related to the enforcement of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988.
2) Health Promotion Sub-unit. This sub-unit provide technical consultations in the formulation of health promotion programs at HSAAS including promoting national health policies, facilitating training, promoting, and educating health for workers, patients and caregivers, and providing core health education training for hospital staff.
3) Sub-unit of Wellness Clinic. This sub-unit coordinates health screening and health education for UPM Serdang residents.
4) Occupational Health and Safety Sub-unit. This sub-unit provides technical consultations and expertise on occupational health matters such as occupational safety and health, including workplace health surveys, assists in investigations of accidents and hazards, helps ensure compliance with the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994, and manages employment health records. This sub-unit also runs the Occupational Medicine Clinic.
5) Environmental Health Sub-unit. This sub-unit cooperates with the Sepang District Health Office in enacting the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988, the Destruction of Infectious Diseases of Pests 1975, and the Food Act 1983.
6) Provide health education for Diabetes Mellitus patients.